Sunday, October 26, 2008

Where did you get that hair????

So I got into the elevator at my dentist office on Friday afternoon. When I heard "where did you get all that hair girl" hmmmm My parents I said. Wow the man said "do you ever straighten it", yes I do but it takes over 4hrs I replied. Wow, so what does your boyfriend think of it? he says. So now I am thinking in my head he is trying to pick me up. He loves it, I replied, Why whats wrong with my hair? He replies oh nothing I really love it, I really do. Well thank you I said and bye. He tried to say something else but I ignored him.

I find that people are really drawn to my hair. I had an old gentleman tell me how much it reminded him of his young years. I think its the wildness and the natural beauty of the hair that draws them. Hey somedays I love my hair so much but there are days I want to cut it or flat iron it straight. Winter is the hardest for me because I cant wear a hat in order to do so I have to wash it and put it in a ponytail while its wet. I have to blow dry it in the ponytail its a tough job this hair. Lots of people say hey I wished I had your hair, hmmmmm no you dont I usually say. But you know how it is, we always want something we don't have.

Black women are not taught to embrace their natural hair from the early years parents use relaxers to straighten the hair. Honestly I don't like to see young girls with relax hair I think with the right products the hair can be manageable.

Natural hair is soooooooooo beautiful, embrace what you got and work with it.

No comments: